Annual School Board Member Election
Tuesday, November 7, 2017
School Board members are elected each November during the annual general election. A full term for a board member consists of three years, starting in January. In the event of a vacancy of a board seat, the board will appoint a qualified representative from the community to fill the vacancy until the next school election.If you would like to run for the Board, please review School Board Candidate Kit and follow the instructions in the cover letter to learn more about general roles and responsibilities of board members. Please feel free to contact any current Board member for more information about the Board of Education.
While it is not required by law, candidates interested in a write in campaign are strongly encouraged to contact Hunterdon County Clerk Mary Melfi at 908-788-1221 as soon as possible so that the Clerk’s office is aware of the names likely to receive votes and can prepare accordingly.
School Board Candidate Qualifications
To become a member of a local board of education in New Jersey you must:
- Be able to read and write
- Hold U.S. citizenship and one year’s residency in the school district
- Have no interest in any contract with, or claim against, the board
- Not hold office as mayor or member of the municipal governing body
- Be registered to vote and not be disqualified as a voter under N.J.S.A. 19:4-1
- Not be disqualified due to the conviction of a crime or offense listed in N.J.S.A. 18A:12-1.
- Within 30 days of the election or appointment to the board shall undergo a criminal history background check investigation for the purpose of ensuring that the member is not disqualified for membership due to a conviction of a crime or offense pursuant to the statute listed above
Voting in the Election
In order to vote in the election you must be registered to vote in either the Town of Clinton or Glen Gardner Borough. Voter registration forms are available either in-person from the Hunterdon County Clerk's office in Flemington or you can download and print the form from the County Clerk's office at the link found below.
The state of NJ allows voters to cast their Vote by Mail though the use of a Vote by Mail ballot – without being required to provide a reason for not being able to make it to the polls on Election Day. Absentee ballots are available either in-person from the Hunterdon County Clerk's office in Flemington or you can download and print the form from the County Clerk's office at the link found below.
- The deadline to register to vote is October 17, 2017
- Mail-in ballots and applications must be mailed by the Hunterdon County Clerk's office by November 1, 2017